What is a houseboat? Good question!
When enquired about houseboats, quite often we were asked what the exact definition of a houseboat is. An intriguing question, because the answer is less simple then you might think. Around the world there are various classifications for these floating homes. As far as we’re concerned a houseboat is any boat or barge that has been modified or designed to function as a house. Houseboats come in various shapes and sizes, from motor powered houseboats that allow you to travel to different places on the water to stationary houseboats which serve as a nice floating abode.
The reason for this broad definition is that houseboats are used, designed and modified different all over the world. In France you will mostly find modified freight boats (or Péniche as the French call it), in Germany and the United States it’s common to cruise the rivers with a pontoon boat (Hausboot in German), Kerala in India is known for it’s converted traditional spice barges called Kettuvallams and in the Netherlands you will almost only find houseboats that are moored to the
One of the most common questions first-time houseboat renters ask is, “how much room on a houseboat do I really need?”
Is it worth hiring a Premium houseboat or will the standard/Deluxe category be enough? While this question seems straightforward, there are several things you may want to consider when reviewing types of houseboats in Kerala for hire. The number of private bedrooms, maximum occupancy, and onboard amenities varies by model. We’ve outlined some of the most notable differences between the different luxury houseboats we offer at Backwater Routes Houseboats to help you find the ideal model for your next houseboat cruise/stay.
And to determine which type of houseboat will fit your needs and lifestyle, you may consider renting one or a couple of boats until you get a clear idea of what you really want.
Various types of houseboats in Kerala
1. Standard houseboats – This is a basic houseboat and for authentic experience of Kettuvllam of bygone era. Most of these boats come without an air conditioner & are devoid of any entertainment services. The bedrooms & living rooms are merely not plush. The interior decor would resemble 20th century designs like the traditional houseboats that have dominant usage of bamboo and coconut fiber ropes. Some do have only oil lit lamps for lighting and doesn’t have back up for supply in case of power failure. As most of these types of houseboats are operated by outboard engine there speed is restricted to 2-3 knots.
2. Deluxe Houseboats – Each Deluxe type of houseboats in Kerala is furnished comfortably and attractively while hewing close to tradition. The boats have one, two or three air-conditioned bedrooms. All have an open-air living area and a fully- equipped kitchen. From the viewing deck, or through your bedroom’s picture window, and on a canoe through the backwater heartland, you will see simplicity in action, and the result is immediate: slown down, de-stress, rejuvenate They are much more comfortable houseboats in which air conditioner is also provided. Tourists who approach backwater tour package operators are mainly provided with these kind of houseboats. Deluxe houseboats offer deluxe accommodation and facilities.
3. Superior Deluxe Houseboats – As the name suggests, these are superior than Deluxe category of Houseboats with extensive services such as uniformed butlers and 24 hours air conditioners. People who always opt for five star hotels should hire luxury houseboats to enjoy the experience. These houseboats are obviously highly priced as they provide some additional services along with the deluxe accommodation facilities
4. Premium houseboats-The boat is ideally suited for enjoying overnight cruises and Backwater holiday trips of 3 and more days. Spacious, bright and comfortable Houseboat with well appointed elegant bedrooms for opulent voyage on backwaters. Exclusivity and comfort at all times. Enjoy the highest degree of relaxation with the services and facilities in this premium cat hb. it provides a bedroom with double bed or two single beds. There is also a cozy slouching area with decorous upholstered lounge sofa where guests can relax.
Being eco-friendly Premium houseboats come with evac system or bio-chemical alternatives are provided and having sewage treatment plant of its own. Hot water supply with showers & western style closets are available. lip-smacking dishes to relish en-route. The menu features culinary delights that have appeal for both vegetarians and non-vegetarians.
5. Luxury houseboats-Though on the higher end, one is assured of a lavish cruise in these majestic houseboats on the placid Kerala backwaters. With their plush interiors, tasteful designs, huge lounge and spacious rooms, a cruise in the luxury Kerala houseboat ensures a wonderful trip. The lounge and bedrooms usually have a wooden ceiling that adds up to its ambiance. Furnished with the choicest linen and luxurious double beds, these houseboats could well be termed as the last word in comfort.
6. Ultra Luxury houseboats- Naturally grandiose and spacious, these types of houseboats in Kerala feels like a royal suite inside. Built for all kinds of travel and business purposes, More spacious than any other houseboat in its class, the main hall of the Ultra Luxury Houseboat is perfect to host a king-size party, hold elite board-meetings or romance the exquisite backwaters; all in the comfort of your private space.
With larger rooms in place, the bedrooms have been designed keep ones comfort and luxury as priority. Single window panes offer stunning large-screen views of the backwaters flowing by; alongside a sense of absolute freedom and maximum space. An exclusive Private balcony, Air-conditioned patio, Roof top/ Moon Dining & a Sunset deck defines it us class apart.
Ultra Luxury is the unique synthesis of royalty and style, serving dishes made from freshly plucked vegetables and freshly reeled seafood, prepared by professionally trained Chefs on board. Exotic & expensive crockery and glassware are used on the luxury houseboat. Wherever possible environment-friendly practices are put to use and plastics are strictly not used. To understand the need to feel at ease while traversing the numerous alleys of the backwaters this types of houseboats in Kerala have well-trained & experienced personnel accompanying. Apart from them being expert swimmers are with good dexterity of backwater characteristics, the crew is also trained to assist travelers in case of any eventuality.